Migrating a user account from a Domain of One’s Own instance to a Reclaim Shared Hosting server is actually quite a simple process since we manage both servers.
Feel free to use the language below to send to your graduating students.
Migrating to Reclaim Hosting
If you would like to continue using your domain after graduation and would like to continue hosting your account with Reclaim, complete the following steps:
- Choose one of the shared hosting accounts that Reclaim offers. If you would like, you can navigate directly to the Student/Personal Hosting plan option.
- If you already have a top-level domain (i.e. yourdomain.com) choose the I will use my existing domain and update my nameservers option.
- If your current website content exists on a subdomain (i.e. yourdomain.stateu.org), select the Register a New Domain or the Use a subdomain from Reclaim Hosting option.
- Enter a new top-level domain name if applicable.
- Complete the sign-up process/pay invoice. If you choose the Student/Individual Plan, your invoice total should be $30.00 without a domain registration, or $45.00 with a domain registration.
- Send a support request to email@example.com with the following message:
Hello Reclaim Hosting Support,
I am graduating from (your school) and I would like to migrate my account, (your domain), to Reclaim Hosting. Please let me know if you need anything else from me.
A member of Reclaim Hosting support will respond & help you get your account migrated ASAP.
If you would like to continue using your domain after graduation but would like to migrate it elsewhere, complete the following steps:
- Generate a full backup of your account.
- If you have a top-level domain (i.e. yourdomain.com), send a request to the Domain of One’s Own support team at your school asking them to unlock your domain, turn privacy protect off, and send you the transfer EPP code. These three items are required in order to initiate a successful domain transfer.
- Next, follow the instructions provided by your new hosting platform on transferring domains/migrating websites. You can find instructions for common hosting platforms below:
Adding a Migration Information Page
Newer versions of Domain of One’s Own have a User Information page available to logged-in users that includes migration and FTP information.
Though older Domain of One’s Own instances don’t include a Migration Assistance page, this can be added by Reclaim Hosting per your request.
What is the Migration Information page?
The page will look something like what's shown above. You can customize it how you see fit, perhaps including the language/instructions above. The page essentially accomplishes two goals:
- Allowing the student to capture a backup of their web content to take with them anywhere
- Providing helpful instructions to the student for moving to Reclaim Hosting; we can provide a seamless transition/migration and offer discounted hosting to boot.
Where would the Migration Information page live?
The Migration Information would be added to the drop-down menu under Manage Your Account.
If this is something you would like added to your Domain of One’s Own instance, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.